1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

making glass in blender

Discussion in 'Modeling' started by sourgrapes, May 17, 2016.

1. sourgrapes

sourgrapes New Member

so on lets say a window pane do you need to use solidify on the pane so that you can have normals going in both directions?
    what I am getting at is when you look through the window one way you can tell there is glass but when you look through it the other way it doesnt

2. Disco

Disco Media Staff Staff Member Media Staff SOB Modding

i couldnt say what solidify does sorry. i make two planes, one facing one direction and the other the opposite. Iv only made glass for vehicles though, and this method is so that different materials can be applied. for example the cube map on the internal glass can be left out, whilst it is present on the external facing glass.

3. sourgrapes

sourgrapes New Member

thanks for the reply. that makes sense I would think a buildings window would be the same..
    solidify pretty much does the same thing. you can start with a single plane and apply the solidify modifier to it and it will make it thicker and in return give you two individual faces.

4. ggs34

ggs34 New Member

are you wanting it aoed or just a regular texture

5. sourgrapes

sourgrapes New Member

I am ao the rest of the barn. does it make a difference on the look of the glass?

6. Disco

Disco Media Staff Staff Member Media Staff SOB Modding

cool, good to know thanks man :) shouldnt be an issue with buildings but i know currently with vehicles the dirt shader doesnt like multiple materials per mesh :S