1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows 10: Compatibility & Deadlines

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Simul8, Jun 3, 2016.

Do I Upgrade?

1. Yes

100.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Simul8

Simul8 Member

Hey guys,

I was just wondering if any of you guys are on Windows10? If so, have you found everything to run smoothly? Games, Recording software, GPU drivers etc...

The reason I ask now, is because Microsoft are going to be stopping the Free upgrade on the 30th of this month, after that the upgrade will have to be purchased.

I'm currently on Windows7 and I love it, so I have never upgraded.

2. dj

dj Testing Staff Testing Staff SOB Modding Wiki Contributor

I updated yesterday, the inly issue I had that I had to run GE as administrator to make it work.
    I think that @Disco already works quite some time with win10

3. Farming Legend

Farming Legend Active Member

I have had it since the Windows 10 preview came out as I had Windows 8 and couldn't stand that. Windows 10 is 10x better then 8. All of my recording, editing software and all of my other software is fine with it the only bit of software that doesn't like it is Logitech software for my driving force gt but I think that is a problem my end not there end

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. bipolarprophet

bipolarprophet Active Member

Because I'm a big follower ;) I upgraded almost the day Win 10 dropped. Overall my experience was both horrid and good. Horrid because all of my permissions were reset and I couldnt save (or load) any of my games. Also anything older than a G29 Logitech wheel is going to be a little problematic as Logitech isnt ever going to update the drivers or the profiler, but after some fiddling (and not letting windows install it's generic drivers) I got that sorted as well. As everyone knows, I play and record and render on a potato and my performance with Win 10 is pretty good. I'd say do your research and decide if you need it.

5. Lewis

Lewis Member

I upgraded a couple of months ago and haven't noticed anything different. All games and recording, editing software work smoothly :)

bipolarprophet likes this.
  6. mereman

mereman Active Member PC-SG.uk Staff

I also went to win10 fairly early, unlike BP I had very few problems except the Logitech profiler for my G27. I changed from win7 pro to win10 pro. I'm more then happy with it.

bipolarprophet likes this.
  7. RainbowDave

RainbowDave New Member

I've been on Win10 for a while with only a few minor issues, like the start menu randomly deciding not to work (resetting Windows Explorer in Task Manager fixes that btw, if anyone else comes across that issue) and small teething issues with some software. Other than that, everything's run more or less flawlessly.

Simul8 likes this.
  8. Simul8

Simul8 Member

Yeah my main concern is the fact that I use a Logitech G29 wheel for my videos. Obviously that would be a problem if it wasn't supported lol

9. Farming Legend

Farming Legend Active Member

Ahh so that will fix my start menu thank you

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Enzosnext

Enzosnext Administrator Staff Member SOB Modding

Upgraded some 2 months ago, a few things needed to be sorted but all good otherwise, have to watch those apps that come with win 10 as they can hog your resources.

From what I understand there is a difference between those that did complete new install and those that tried to keep old files and then upgrade. My advise, backup your saved data no matter which way you upgrade but I would upgrade.

11. Dirtracer00

Dirtracer00 Member PC-SG.uk Staff

I tried the update keeping my old files and had nothing but problems. New install would be my recommendation. Coming from Windows 8, 10 is 100% better.

12. PromGames

PromGames Member

This is also the issue I have, and solve the same way, restarting explorer in task manager.

Other issue appears very frequently only with farming simulator is the hang of the graphics controller, but I know is due to my old notebook and its graphics card Radeon 4670 with 2gb. I have dell studio XPS with more than 5 years screen resolution 1920 1600, I have had to increase memory to 8 Gb and everything goes ok. 4 Gb for Fs15 and wide selection of mods is getting very inefficient and crash very often.

Comparing to Win7 or win 8.1, I have to say that memory management is one of the big advantages of win10, the memory appearing as compressed memory in memory graphics, allocating some fix parts of hard disk info more requested is giving better performance overall in all processes. It is reducing the usage of hard disks do temperature overall. I use afterbarner to control card parameters and fan speed.

13. Disco

Disco Media Staff Staff Member Media Staff SOB Modding

Going forward everything is going to be developed for windows 10 and onwards. There are probably a few things that need to catch up still out there in the world but I wouldn't miss the opportunity. I full wipe and install is best, rather than the upgrade. My system works better now after doing a reinstall than when I tried to cheat and just upgraded. Windows 10 is very good imo, and I'd choose it over any other os. Iv got 2 laptops that it has given new life to as it runs so well :)

14. bipolarprophet

bipolarprophet Active Member

Win 10 has made the abacus like a new girl for many games most notably Flight Simulator which even on NASA computers runs like what comes out of the bull..... ;)

Dirtracer00, mereman and Disco like this.